Point-of-care ultrasound has become a vital part of patient assessment in critical care units across the world. Its diagnostic sensitivity and specificity allow clinicians to accurately examine all major organ systems within a matter of minutes.
This book provides readers with a comprehensive, accurate and up-to-date practical guide to the use of POCUS in critical care, and features:
detailed descriptions of how to perform a multi-system POCUS examination and its advantages over traditional techniques
practical details of how to use POCUS in the assessment of shock, trauma and cardiac arrest
contributions from leading POCUS specialists
hundreds of images
The book is accompanied by an additional image and video clip library which will help readers better understand ultrasound and incorporate it into their daily practice. Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Critical Care is an essential handbook for clinicians working in critical care and anaesthesia. This book is also useful for those working in emergency medicine, internal medicine, surgery, and pre-hospital medicine. With POCUS likely to become a core competency in intensive care medicine over the coming years, this book is the perfect handbook for trainees.
An introduction to ultrasound
1. The evolution of critical care ultrasound – Luke Flower & Pradeep Madhivathanan
2. Basic ultrasound physics – Abhishek Jha & Pablo Rojas Zamora
3. Image optimization and artefacts – Elliot Smith
4. Focused versus advanced echocardiography – Angus McKnight & Stuart Gillon
5. Fundamentals of transthoracic echocardiography – Richard Fisher
6. Fundamentals of transoesophageal echocardiography – Dan Aston
7. Assessment of the left heart – Filippo Sanfilippo, Luigi La Via & Gianluca Paternoster
8. Assessment of the right heart – Sam Clark
9. Focused valvular assessment – Tim Keady & Sam Clark
10. Assessment of the pericardium and pericardiocentesis – Alejandra Ceballos, Julian Rios Rios & Pradeep Madhivathanan
11. Fundamentals of point-of-care lung ultrasound – Hatem Soliman-Aboumarie & Luna Gargani
12. Lung and pleural pathology – Ashley Miller, Marcus Peck & Jonny Wilkinson
13. Ultrasound-guided thoracentesis – Chuen Khaw, Luke Flower & Jim Buckley
14. Basic hepatic and biliary ultrasound – Jonny Wilkinson, Marcus Peck & Ashley Miller
15. Ultrasound assessment of the renal tract and bladder – Maryam Khosravi
16. Ultrasound-guided abdominal paracentesis – Charlotte Hateley & Arun Sivananthan
17. Basic aortic ultrasound – Jonny Wilkinson, Marcus Peck & Ashley Miller
18. Deep vein thrombosis scanning in critical care – Rosie Baruah, David Hall & Colum O’Hare
19. Ultrasound-guided venous access – Zdenek Bares
20. Transcranial Doppler and optic nerve sheath diameter – Manni Waraich
21. Ultrasound-guided spinal procedures – John Dick & Kay Mak
22. Ultrasound to confirm airway placement and guide percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy – Adrian Wong
23. POCUS in the assessment of shock – Ashraf Roshdy
24. POCUS assessment of fluid status – Olusegun Olusanya & Ashley Miller
25. POCUS in trauma – Dipak Mistry
26. POCUS in cardiac arrest – Luke Flower & Pradeep Madhivathanan
27. POCUS in intensive care unit acquired weakness – Sunil Patel & Zudin Puthucheary
28. Ultrasound education in critical care – Jonathan Aron & Sarah Morton
"With POCUS likely to become a core competency in ICM in the coming years, choosing a practical and easily accessible text is important.
This book is comprehensive but accessible, and it is clear the authors have tried hard to make it un-intimidating. I think they have succeeded! There are a great many of us who are unsure where to start with POCUS – FUSIC is a well-known, beautifully packaged programme for most. This book is small enough to put in your bag and will undoubtedly help you improve your practice, even if a mentor is not around.
The author list is a veritable rogues gallery of ultrascoundrels. Names such as Marcus Peck and Ashley Miller (co-chairs of the FUSIC committee) and Manni Waraich (neuro POCUS guru) reassure the reader that this is an absolute treasure trove of expert knowledge (in fact, many of the FUSIC committee are included in the list). There are over 40 contributors listed, each one bringing a career’s worth of expertise.
A highly useful book which has something for everyone, from beginner to advanced. One of the most comprehensive guides to all elements of critical care POCUS.... Even though there is a wealth of online material covering POCUS, sometimes there’s nothing like a book to refer to. I expect this will be a regular in my work bag."
'Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Critical Care is a delightful review of the constantly evolving realm of point-of-care ultrasound, or POCUS, as it has been colloquially referred.
With over 41 contributors, 28 chapters, and 350 pages, the book covers a variety of important point-of-care topics, with early chapters dedicated to the familiar examinations, including echocardiography and lung, abdominal, and vascular ultrasound. These topics are broken into multiple chapters, with early chapters dedicated to view acquisition and later chapters dedicated to assessment and clinical judgement of normal physiology and pathology.
As one of the first attempts to encompass a young and everexpanding field, Point-of-Care Ultrasound in Critical Care is an excellent guide to the discipline. For readers across all specialties and experiences, this book will provide a thorough but unintimidating approach to a skillset that will continue to guide the practice of medicine in years to come.'
British Journal of Anaesthesia 17/1/2023
A must buy for ICU POCUS enthusiasts
'An excellent book with chapters from some of the best sonographers around. Something for beginners and experts and a great collection of images and video clips. Would highly recommend!' Amazon review
'Such a great book. Can’t wait to try out my new POCUS knowledge on the ward! An essential for all medical libraries.' Amazon review
State of the Art
'The most current literature in this field. I recommend it to everyone working in this field. Even an experienced sonographer will get some pearls for clinical practice.' Amazon review
Chapter 5 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 7 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 8 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 9 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 10 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 11 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 16 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 17 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care
Chapter 22 videos to accompany Point of Care Ultrasound in Critical Care