Communication Skills for OSCEs
By Rachel Wamboldt and Niamh Loughran
Mar 2017 , 308 pp
Communication skills are the cornerstone of being a good doctor and there is a growing trend to incorporate these skills within the medical school curriculum. Medical students are normally well-versed in the medical knowledge needed for their OSCEs but often struggle with the key communication techniques required. This book helps to overcome this by combining a practical approach to communicating with the essential clinical knowledge needed for a successful consultation. It is written by medical students and junior doctors for medical students and junior doctors.
Communication Skills for OSCEs is the first medical OSCEs book to focus on the key communication skills the medical student needs.
Communication Skills for OSCEs prepares you for the examination setting but, in doing so, also provides the building blocks for good communication skills throughout your career.
Section 1: Introduction to communication skills
1. How to use this book and get the most out of role play 2. The importance of communication skills in healthcare
3. Application of the CalgaryCambridge Model 4. General approach to information gathering 5. Information giving and shared decision making
Section 2: System-focused communication
6. Perfecting the systems review 7. Psychiatry 8. Neurology 9. Orthopaedics and rheumatology 10. Ophthalmology 11. Cardiovascular medicine 12. Respiratory medicine 13. Ears, nose and throat 14. Gastroenterology and hepatology 15. Nephrology and urology 16. Obstetrics and gynaecology 17. Dermatology 18. Endocrinology
Section 3: Special situations in communication
19. Older peoples medicine 20. Paediatrics 21. Taking a drug history 22. The consultation through an interpreter
23. Safeguarding vulnerable adults and children 24. Breaking bad news 25. Communicating error and conflict resolution 26. Communicating risk 27. Consenting for a procedure 28. Talking to colleagues
The following supplementary resources for Communication Skills for OSCEs are available to download for free.