Essential Examination, third editionStep-by-step guides to clinical examination scenarios with practical tips and key facts for OSCEs
By Alasdair K.B. Ruthven
Nov 2015 , 155 pp
"This is about the best OSCE preparation book available." Doody's, summer 2016
Essential Examination has been comprehensively revised and new sections added:
- Neonatal - the 'baby check'
- Female genitalia
- Digital rectal examination
- GALS screening
- Foot and ankle
- Critically ill patient
- Confirming death
The new edition retains the unique format and approach of the original.
- Clear, step-by-step guides to each examination, including useful things to say to the patient (or an examiner), detailed descriptions of special tests, etc.
- In a separate column is a collection of key information: potential findings, differential diagnoses of clinical signs and practical tips.
- On the following pages there are facts relating to that particular examination and, in many sections, there are also tips on how to present your findings succinctly - a skill which is crucial to master for exam success.
If you are learning how to examine patients, or preparing for an OSCE, then you need Essential Examination!
Student thoughts on the second edition:
This book is an absolute must for any final year.
I LOVE this book it has all the key examinations with each fitting on a single double page spread.
Best preparation for OSCEs. Learn to do these steps within the time limits and you will pass!
Pretty much THE essential textbook for clinical
examinations for all medical students.
Cardiovascular; Heart murmurs
Chronic renal failure / renal transplant
GALS screen; Hip; Knee; Foot and ankle; Shoulder; Elbow; Spine; Hands general / musculoskeletal
Hands neurological; Upper limb neurology; Lower limb neurology; Cranial nerves; Extrapyramidal neurology / tremor; Cerebellar function
Cushings syndrome; Acromegaly
Lower limb arterial system; Lower limb venous system
Thyroid / neck lump / thyroid status
Male genitalia; Female genitalia; Digital rectal examination; Breast
The critically ill patient
Lymph nodes of the head and neck; Key differential diagnoses
"This book is buy far the best purchase I have made at medical school. Provides markschemes for all of the clinical examinations AND info that is useful when preparing for the viva style quiz at the end of long osce stations" Amazon reviewer
"I love this book and use it a lot. It contains a huge amount of relevant information in an accessible format." Amazon reviewer
"This is a valuable book, well formatted and brimming with hints and memory aids for what questions to ask at what time. This is about the best OSCE preparation book available."
Doody's Book Reviews